If bread and cake had a one night stand, the product of that encounter would be these snickerdoodle muffin coffee cakes.
The texture is softer than bread but more firm than cake. The batter comes together super fast and the cinnamon sugar topping is the icing on the cake.
For the Dough
3/4 cup warm water (not hot— 110 to 115°)
2 teaspoons active dry yeast
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
¼ cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/4 cup butter, melted
For the topping
¾ cup sugar
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
¼ cup melted butter
- For the dough mix the yeast and water together in a measuring cup to let the yeast soften. In a medium bowl, mix the flour, sugar and salt together.
- Crack the eggs and add to the yeast & water mixture. Blend with a fork until the eggs are broken up and well mixed.
- Add the the yeast mixture and melted butter to the flour mixture and blend until everything is thoroughly combined.
- Using a portion scoop, divide the batter evenly into 12 muffin cups. Let rise until doubled. This should take about an hour.
- Bake at 375 for 15 minutes.
- While the coffee cakes are baking mix the sugar and cinnamon together and make sure the butter is completely melted.
- While the coffee cakes are still warm, remove them from the pan and dip them in the melted butter, then roll in the cinnamon sugar mixture. You can just dip the tops in the melted butter and cinnamon sugar, or you can dip the whole thing in butter and cinnamon sugar, completely covering it. The choice is yours.
Mixing the Snickerdoodle Coffee Cakes
Finishing the Snickerdoodle Coffee Cakes