I've been wanting to try a recipe for gluten free rice flour waffles for a long time. This morning, I finally did it! The waffle was amazing. Light and crispy. Airy with an almost custard like interior, these gluten free waffles are giving my traditional waffle recipe a run for the money.
I have no medical reason to eat gluten free, but I did want to experiment a little with different flours to see how the tastes and textures would turn out. These gluten free rice flour waffles will be a winner for families where only one person is G-free.
The waffles are so good, you don't even have to worry about making multiple items for breakfast so everybody is happy. Another good thing about these waffles in that you don't need any xanthan gum, which is an ingredient called for in lots of g-free bread recipes.
Gluten free rice flour waffles
- 1 1/2 cups Rice flour
- 1 Tablespoon Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 3 Tablespoons buttter, melted
- 2 egg whites, beaten to stiff peaks
- Directions for Gluten free rice flour waffles
- Whisk together the rice flour, baking powder and salt in a medium sized bowl. Add the milk, egg yolks and butter and mix until combined. One everything is incorporated, fold in your egg whites. This will make the batter nice and light and fluffy. Be careful not to deflate the batter.
- Bake on your waffle iron according to the manufacturers directions. My waffles took about 3 minutes to bake.