In this video, I show you how to make a baked custard. It's a very easy dessert and can be prepared in advance. If you want to make this baked custard a little more exciting, you can add dried fruit or a tablespoon of almond butter or nutella to the bottom of the custard cups before filling them.
This baked custard recipe has only 5 ingredients, and all of them are probably in your pantry right now.
- 4 Eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 3 cups Milk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- Nutmeg As desired
- Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees.
- Crack 4 eggs into a medium bowl and whisk to break up all the yolks and whites. Add sugar, salt, milk and vanilla to the beaten eggs. Whisk until combined. Transfer the egg mixture to a large measuring cup with a pour spout. This will make filling the custard cups much easier.
- Get a 9x13 pan and set your custard cups in the baking dish. Fill each cup with approximately 3/4 cups of the egg mixture.
- Place the pan with the custard cups into the preheated oven. Fill the pan with hot tap water. This will help the custards cook gently without curdling. After 30 minutes,remove baked custards from the oven and test custards by inserting a knife in the center. The knife should come out clean. If custard is not done, cook 5-10 minutes more.
- Remove custard cups from water bath to cool. I just place mine on a sheet tray. If you leave the custard cups in the water bath they will continue to cook so you want to be sure to take them out of the water bath as soon as possible.
- Next, grab your microplane grate and some whole nutmeg and grate it over the top of the custards, if you want. These baked egg custards can be served warm or cold.